Sunday, June 27, 2010

Attachment

I received The Connected Child book in the mail this past week. I am only about 65 pages into at this point. At about page 20 I realized that I would probably have to read it again and take notes. There is a large amount of information provided which I think will be very helpful. The closer we get to bringing her home the more nervous I get. I am not exactly sure what I am nervous about but attachment concerns is at the top of the list. It encompasses so many areas and impacts everything that I want to go in knowledgeable. When I have discussed my attachment concerns I seem to hear a lot of "children are resilient" or "oh they will be just fine". I really hope so. I really hope that she will just fall into our family and her new American life but we have to help her do that.

I have read stories and articles about attachment issues, disruptions, etc but very rarely do people blog about these issues when they get home. There is one blog I follow of a mother who brought her young son home from DRC earlier this year who blogs openly about their experience. I greatly appreciate her honesty and it is a good insight into what may lay ahead of us. Here is her most recent post.

1 comment:

  1. I just realized you had a blog! Yippee! I can't wait to catch up on it- and it is nice to put a face with your name! Read the Connected Child all the way through about 600 times. You will be glad that you did. However, I am praying that your girls are "resiliant" :-)

    ReplyDelete