Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Ya-Ya Bee Keeper

We got our vaccinations today. I thought that I didn't need too many since I have visited the International Travel Clinic in the past. I was wrong. $936 later we are vaccinated! I would say that is a bargain if we can avoid yellow fever, polio and typhoid. I think it's a darn good deal. The lovely people at the International Travel Clinic print out an informational handout. I didn't even look at it. Jake read the whole thing. This is the outfit he wants to wear while we are in Africa.



This handout included information on Dengue Fever also known as "break bone fever". It involves a month of illness that is less than pleasant. The "day mosquito's" carry the Dengue Fever so Jake is hoping that it is dark the whole time we are there. Other information included this interesting statement "There is a high crime rate in most regions of Kenya, particularly Nairobi...Foreign nationals have been the victims of daytime carjackings and kidnappings in neighborhoods normally deemed safe during daylight hours". Jake said there is information about land mines, pirate attacks, volcanic activity, "mob justice" (when they lynch you in the street prior to the police showing up)...all that kind of good stuff. Even after hearing those little tidbits I didn't read the packet. There are unsafe areas EVERYWHERE. I am just not worried. Will I be parading through the streets in the middle of the night alone? No. The only travel "warning" regarding Rwanda was about the border areas between Rwanda and the DRC. I am more worried about not taking enough pictures or seeing enough of the country. I will not be wearing a bee keeper suit. Would they even keep out the Dengue Fever carrying mosquito's?

On another note. Funny things my husband says -

- "You know. She looks like that girl, Pokey from South Beach" (Snookie from Jersey Shore)
- Speaking of the flight from London to DC "All they had on that stupid little TV was The Ya-Ya Travel Pants movie" (Apparently they were showing a combination movie of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood)

3 comments:

  1. I know...isn't all the travel stuff off-putting? But, I looked on the travel advisories for other countries and apparently 'Moscow' is on the same level of alert as Kigali and Nairobi. I feel better now I know my hubby is traveling with me- I was going to do it by myself while he stayed here with the kids.
    My arms are still a little tender from the Hepatitis one...and I had a super headache after too. Could be coincidental though. Yellow fever next week:)

    Like the bee-keeper outfit...I think if anyone did attempt to hijack your car they would think twice if you guys were wearing those outfits. "Man, don't mess with those crazies....";)That goes for the mosquitoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you're gonna feel bad when jake and I are sporting our bee suits and all the skeeters are going after you missy! By the way, I'd like to read those materials that the clinic gave you.

    ReplyDelete